May 1, 2011

Sexualization is Sex Negative | Good Vibrations Magazine {featured read}

Do you see a happy little girl? And do you see a confused one? I wonder if you can guess which one is my daughter.

Yes, you got it. My daughter is the one on the right, pictured with me posing for an embarrassing photo to advertise her preschool’s annual fundraiser. Goofy as we look, I still find this picture much easier on the eyes than the one on the left. All I can think when I look at this little girl made up like an adult and photographed with bedroom eyes, is how oblivious she must be to the meaning behind the directives she is being given. “More shoulder! Part those lips! Look, um, vulnerable!” Yikes.

This little girl is the victim of “sexualization,” a term which I use to mean the inappropriate IMPOSITION of a NARROWLY-DEFINED sexuality. In case you haven’t noticed, it’s everywhere.
Read More >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...